The Department of Psychology, St. George campus, does not have formal procedures or application forms for either volunteer or paid research/lab positions in the summer or during the academic year. Suggestions on where students can investigate research opportunities with the Psychology Department and the wider research community are listed below.
- On the Faculty of Arts & Science Research Opportunities page
- At the U of T Career Centre including the Work-Study Program;
- Sign up for the Undergrad listserv to receive email notification of volunteer opportunities (we receive these regularly from within and outside the university). These opportunities are also posted on our Facebook page. "Like" our Facebook page to get the latest postings as well as other useful information.
- With the Psychology Students' Association;
- At various affiliated hospitals or co-operating institutions; including CAMH (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health).
- Check with individual faculty members about potential opportunities in their labs (this is the most common way students gain this type of experience). View contact and research information for our faculty members.
Other opportunities include:
- The summer NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award (USRA) and University of Toronto Excellence Awards (UTEA) in Social Science and Humanities and in Natural Science and Engineering are considered awards however, they do provide students with excellent paid research experience;
- For students entering second year, the Research Opportunity Program (ROP), sponsored by the Faculty of Arts & Science, provides an opportunity for students early in their academic career to engage in an original research project with a professor, in exchange for course credit. Students who apply to an ROP in Psychology would receive a full-course credit of PSY299Y or PSY399Y;
- Complete a 4th year Individual Project (PSY 405/406) with a supervisor in a lab for course credit. This is another popular way students gain useful research experience relevant to future career opportunities or admission to graduate school.