Applying to the University of Toronto, St. George Campus

Q: I wish to apply for admission to the Psychology Program at the University of Toronto. What do I do? 

A: There are two steps in applying for Psychology at the University of Toronto. 

1) Apply to the University of Toronto
Visit the Enrolment Services website at http://www.future.utoronto.ca/apply and click on 'apply' for information about applying to the University. Additional information is available on the Faculty of Arts & Science website at www.artsci.utoronto.ca/future
2) Request a Psychology Program
Admission to specific programs (or subject POSts) happens at the end of first year (or after completion of 4 full-course equivalents for part-time students) and for psychology, completion of PSY100H (Introductory Psychology) is required as well as high school calculus and biology. Details about our programs are available on our website at About our Undergraduate Studies


Q: Can I apply for a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology?

A: University of Toronto offers a Bachelor of Science. We do not offer a BA in Psychology. If you pursue a major in Psychology and your second major is in the Humanities or Social Sciences, you can choose whether to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science. 


Q: I do not meet the requirements to apply to the University of Toronto. What do I do? 

A: The University of Toronto has an Academic Bridging Program and a Transitional Year Program for students who do not meet the entry requirements. Contact each program to determine the best fit for you. 
Academic Bridging Program: www.wdw.utoronto.ca/academic_bridging
Transitional Year Program: sites.utoronto.ca/typ/ 


Q: Do you offer distance education/online courses in Psychology? 

A: The Department of Psychology at St. George Campus does NOT currently offer any distance education/online courses. For a list of Canadian Universities offering distance/online education, go to www.canadian-universities.net/Campus/Distance-Education.html


Q: Does St. George campus Psychology department have a co-op program? 

A: No, we do not but the Psychology department at the UTSC does.  


Q: When do classes start? 

A: F term (September-December) classes generally begin the 2nd week of September and run until December. The S term begins in early January and runs until April. 


Q: When is the deadline for applications? 

A: Usually, the application deadline for a September start is due the previous January. For specific information on deadlines, go to http://www.future.utoronto.ca/apply/important-application-dates


Q: Is it possible to apply for a January start? 

A: No, new incoming students can only apply for a September start. 


Q: Can I study part-time? 

A: Yes, part-time studies are possible. 


Q: It is possible to study abroad while at the University of Toronto? 

A: Yes. Information on studying abroad can be found at Centre for International Experience (www.cie.utoronto.ca/Going.htm) and the Study Abroad Program (www.summerabroad.utoronto.ca/). 

Q: I am a high school student. Which high school courses will I need in order to study Psychology at the University of Toronto? Where can I find more information? 

A: As we are a department in the Life Sciences stream in the Faculty of Arts & Science, all of our Psychology programs require grade 12-level Calculus and Biology.  Information for high school students is available at https://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/future/ready-apply/high-school-students. Specific information on admission to the Psychology programs can be found here.

Q: I want to transfer to the University of Toronto from my current university. What should I do? 

A: You should apply as a transfer student. Information on transferring to U of T is available at https://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/future/ready-apply/transfer-students.  More information on transfer credits can be found at https://future.utoronto.ca/apply/transfer-credit-information/.  

NOTE: You cannot apply directly to Psychology until you've been admitted to the University first and all of your previous university credits (including any Psychology courses) have been transferred over. Only after they have all been transferred you can indicate your interest in Psychology.


Q: I am applying as a transfer credit student. What is the maximum number of credits I can transfer?

A: Students who apply to transfer with no more than two years of study elsewhere can transfer up to a maximum of 10 full-course equivalents (FCEs).  If you have completed more than two years at a recognized university, you will not be permitted to transfer into the same field of study at the University of Toronto. If you are close to finishing a three- or four-year degree, we encourage you to complete the degree at your home university or apply as a Visiting Student with your home university’s permission.


Q: How and when will I know if my courses will be transferred over to the University of Toronto? 

A: Transfer credits are assessed on a course-by-course basis. Once you are accepted to U of T and your transcripts are reviewed, you will be notified of any transfer credits you will receive.

NOTE: Transfer Explorer (transferex.utoronto.ca/trans-nav/#/) can be used as a guideline by students but does NOT guarantee if a course is transferable to the University of Toronto.


Q: I am a UTSC/UTM student or registered in a different Faculty and wish to transfer to the Faculty of Arts & Science St. George campus. What do I do? 

A: You must apply for an internal transfer by completing an internal transfer form. For information on this process go to https://future.utoronto.ca/apply/applying/#applications and stroll down to Full-Time Degree Applicants Previously or Currently Registered as Students at the University of Toronto (University of Toronto Internal Application).


Q: I already have an undergraduate degree and would like to apply for a second degree. What do I do? 

A: You would apply as a transfer student – second degree. If you already hold a university degree you may only apply for degree studies in a different field. For instance, if you completed a degree in Psychology you cannot apply for a second degree in this area. If you are admitted to a different program, you will be considered for a maximum of 5 transfer credits (one full year) from your previous studies.  


Q: I have an undergraduate degree from another university and want to upgrade or take additional PSY courses at the University of Toronto in order to obtain the equivalent of a four-year degree for admission to graduate school. What do I do?

A: You should apply through Enrolment Services (https://future.utoronto.ca/apply/) as a non-degree student. You cannot take any U of T courses until you have been admitted as a non-degree student. As a non-degree student, you will have the option to begin courses in the summer session. Sometimes Psychology courses are challenging to get into because of high enrolment figures and because Psychology program students receive priority in enrolling for courses. The summer courses are generally less crowded.

NOTE: you must provide proof to the undergraduate office that you meet all of the prerequisites for the PSY courses you plan to take. 

Q: I am an international applicant. Where can I find information on applying to the University of Toronto?A: 

Information on applying as an international student to the Faculty of Arts & Science can be found at https://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/future/ready-apply/international-students. For information on admission requirements, go to www.adm.utoronto.ca, click on ‘admissions’ and then make the appropriate selections. More information for students from the UK, India and China can be found at: 

- China: discover.utoronto.ca/international/china - India: discover.utoronto.ca/international/india - United Kingdom: discover.utoronto.ca/international/uk 


Q: What is the tuition fee for international students?

A: For information on financial matters, go to https://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/future/ready-apply/tuition-scholarships-financial-aid. And for details on tuition in particular, go to http://www.provost.utoronto.ca/link/students/fees16.htm and scroll down to 'international students'.


Q: I am an international applicant and English is not my first language? Will I need to pass an English facility test when applying to the University of Toronto? 

A: You may be required to provide proof of your English ability. More information on this can be found on the Enrolment Services website at http://future.utoronto.ca/apply/english-language-requirements.


Q: I am an international student. Can I work in Canada? 

A: You can work in Canada but require certain documentation. Details can be found on U of T's Centre for International Experience website at www.cie.utoronto.ca/Coming/Living-Here/Working-in-Canada.htm


Q: What support does the University of Toronto have for international students? 

A: Information on financial support for international students is available at http://future.utoronto.ca/finances/financial-aid. Also, the University of Toronto’s Centre for International Experience (cie.utoronto.ca/) is an excellent source of information and support for international students. 

Q: Who do I contact if I have further questions?

A: Contact Enrolment Services (http://future.utoronto.ca/contact-us) or the Faculty of Arts & Science (https://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/future-students/connect-us).


Applying to a Psychology Program, St. George Campus

Q: Where can I find information about the Psychology programs? 

A: Information on the programs we offer, our courses, program admission requirements and more can be found on the Psychology undergraduate website

Q: When do I apply to a Psychology program? 

A: Undergraduate students select their programs of study (Subject POSts) once they have completed a minimum of 4.0 full-course equivalents (FCEs), including any transfer credits. For full-time students, this is usually at the end of first year.  

Q: What are the requirements for Psychology programs? 

A: Requirements for all Psychology programs are outlined here. Psychology programs are Type 2L Subject POSts, which means that there are specific requirements that must be met to request our programs. Also, our programs are all designated 'Limited Enrolment' which means that even if you meet the minimum requirements (or exceed them) admission is not guaranteed. Be prepared with an alternate program plan should your request to be admitted to Psychology be declined. 

Q: Do you accept IB or AP Psychology as an equivalent to PSY 100 and for program entry?

A: No, unfortunately, both IB and AP Psychology (as well as GCE A-Level, Cambridge, and HK) do not directly transfer here as a PSY 100 equivalent and therefore you cannot use it to gain entry to any of our PSY programs. 


Q: I do not have a Calculus and/or Biology course, but still want to be in a Psychology program. What do I do? 

A: You will need to meet these requirements BEFORE you apply to any St. George campus PSY program. We accept any grade 12, college, or university-level courses in Calculus and Biology. You are welcome to take these at any high school or post-secondary institution, however, you are invited to check with our undergraduate office to see if the course(s) you’re considering enrolling in are acceptable equivalents by emailing undergrad@psych.utoronto.ca

Q: I do not have the required high school or post-secondary Calculus and/or Biology, either because I transferred from another university's psychology program where it was not required, or because I originally applied to Humanities/Social Sciences, which does not require Calculus and/or Biology. Can I still be admitted without these requirements? 

A: No, you must have these requirements regardless of what the admissions requirements were at your former university or here at the University of Toronto. We cannot make any exceptions.

Q: I will be taking PSY100H in the summer and want to enrol in a PSY program. What do I do? 

A: You will only be able to apply during the second Subject POSt request period, which usually begins in early July and runs until the end of August. Please be advised that applying late (i.e. not during the first round of enrolment) will mean that you will not find out whether you've been accepted until mid-September. This could affect course enrolment for you during July. For further information, see the next FAQ.

Q: I will not find out if I've been accepted into a Psychology program until September but I need to enrol in courses as soon as possible before they fill up. What do I do? 

A: Unfortunately, enrolling in a Subject POSt during the second round of enrolment means you may not get your first choice of the courses in which you are interested. All students enrolled in a PSY program are given priority for enrolment in PSY courses and those not enrolled in a PSY program must wait until the priority period ends around the end of the first week in August.

Q: I am a transfer student and did not receive the minimum program requirement grade in the PSY 100H equivalent that I completed at my former university (where there was achieving this grade was not required. Can I still be admitted?

A: No, even though your former university admitted you it does not mean we will overlook the requirement. You have the option of taking the course again and achieve the minimum grade that we require, or of applying with the requirements needed once you have completed more than two years of university (8 or more credits) which looks at your average at two PSY courses at the 200-level and in Statistics. Sometimes transfer students can be enrolled directly into Psychology programs if they meet certain requirements. For details on these requirements, go to https://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/current/faculty-registrar/transfer-credit/admission-transfer-credits/program-admission-requirements.

Q: I just learned that I have been refused entry into the PSY Program I applied for, but I was certain that I met all of the requirements. Why was I refused admission? Can I apply next year? 

A: As all our PSY programs are designated Type 2L (Limited), we cannot admit all of those who meet the minimum requirements. In most cases, we only have approximately one quarter of the spaces available in our programs compared to the number of applications. For example, we may get 2000 applications but only have about 500 spaces available. Therefore, we cannot guarantee anyone a spot in any of our programs. Most often, students need to exceed the minimum requirements by quite a bit in order to be 'competitive'. Yes, you can reapply the following year, however, please note that you would need to take further PSY courses and receive high enough grades in them to be reconsidered. Details on how to apply after completion of 8.0 FCEs can be found here. It is highly advised, though, that you have a back-up plan in place, should you not be admitted again. Please consult with your College Registrar’s Office about other programs of study which may suit you, if you are not able to pursue a program in Psychology.

Q: How do I get research experience? How do I become a research assistant? 

A: The Psychology Department does not match students with research jobs. For details on how to find research opportunities, click here.

Q: Where can I find more information on careers in Psychology and on applying to graduate school? 

A: Visit our Careers & Graduate Studies page on the Psychology website. The Psychology Department also offers a number of programs with Alumni Services. For more details on these programs, go to www.alumni.artsci.utoronto.ca/

Q: Who do I contact if I have further questions about Psychology programs? 

A: Please contact the Psychology Undergraduate Administrator at psy.undergrad@utoronto.ca.